For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 ESV)
1. It is a divine book (“the Word of God”). God thinks, He has spoken, and it is recorded for you in Scripture (Gen.1, 2, 12, 15, 31; Jn.1:1-14; Heb.1:2; Mt.4:4; 1 Pt.1:19-21).
2. It is a living book (“constantly actively alive”). Because Jesus Christ is the Living Word. (Js.1:21; Jer.15:16; Ps.119:50; Jn.17:17)
3. It is an active book. It is productive; it is the instrument for the production of spiritual results (Is.55:9-11). God never sends His Word without accomplishing something for His glory. It takes time for fruit to become visible, but God’s Word will change lives. You don’t have to ‘doctor’ (manipulate) it up to make it more appealing or relevant (i.e. plastic surgery), just speak it in love and let God do His work.
4. It is a penetrating book (“sharper”). The Word has cutting power (Acts 2:36-38; Phil.1:6; Ps.103:8). His Word is the divine scalpel used by the Divine Surgeon to cut and expose the cancerous sin that must be dealt with in order to gain spiritual health.
5. It is a discerning book (“judge”; cf. Jer.17:10; Ps.119:130; Eph.6:17; 2 Cor.10:4-5).
Adapted from Chapter 6 of Counsel One Another by Paul Tautges